5 “Bad” Traits in Children that Will Benefit Your Kids as Adults

My son is incredibly sensitive. It’s a beautiful trait, but his sensitivity can make life very difficult at times. He’s easily hurt, whines quite a bit, and breaks down into tears at least once a day. But his sensitivity also makes him incredibly empathetic, and nothing beats his hugs when you’re having a rough day. Even though his sensitivity frustrates me right now, I know that it will serve him well as an adult when he will be expected to sympathize with others. I just have to keep reminding myself of that fact when he starts whining that he’s “not whining.”

Children often have traits that we might be tempted to call character flaws. We might try to discourage those “bad” traits, but sometimes these characteristics just need to be tempered with time and maturity. Here are five “bad” traits that will benefit your kids as adults.

1. Your child is sensitive.

Sensitivity in kids can be annoying at times, but sensitivity in adults is very desirable (especially in men). Adults who are in touch with their own feelings are more likely to be empathetic when it comes to other people’s feelings. This is beneficial in marriages, friendships, and even in the office among coworkers.

2. Your child gets angry easily.

My daughter is incredibly happy 95% of the time. The other 5%? She can become so angry her skin turns red and smoke comes out her ears. The girl has a serious anger issue. When she feels slighted, my daughter pulls out the whole shebang- hands on hips, stamping feet, and screeching voice. It’s adorable and frustrating at the same time. But I know one day her passion and fiery spirit will benefit her. Kids with anger issues can learn to temper their tempers, directing their passion and strong sense of right and wrong into healthy outlets. Angry toddlers can grow up into the strongest social justice advocates.

3. Your child is stubborn.

Most little kids are stubborn. When they believe they are right, they do not back down. When they want something, they do not give up. While there is a place for compromise and letting things go, sometimes perseverance is what is needed. And what’s perseverance except virtuous stubbornness? As your child gets older, they’ll learn how to compromise, but it’s important that they also appreciate the value of stubbornness when the situation calls for it.

4. Your child is anal.

I was a bit of an anal-retentive child. I’ve always liked order, and that didn’t change as I got older. My obsession with precision made me a great student, and it was a huge asset when I entered the workplace. Having a child who is obsessive about detail might get frustrating at times, but as they get older, that anal-retentiveness can be honed as a wonderful skill for your child to include on their resume.

5. Your child is impulsive.

Impulse control is not typically a child’s strong-suit. Kids are impulsive, which can make life very stressful for parents. Usually, they grow out of it as they age, but a little bit of impulsivity doesn’t necessarily need to be a bad thing. With a bit of added maturity, childish impulsivity can become spontaneity, and spontaneity can be romantic, fun, and freeing. Having always been a bit anal myself, I think a little bit of impulsivity might have helped me immensely.

So next time you’re getting frustrated with your toddler for their less favorable personality traits, remember that they are just children. With time and maturity, those “flaws” will blossom into traits worthy of noting on their resumes. In the meantime, our children just need guidance, patience, and positive support from their parents.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s